10 Ways to Safely Volunteer With Your Family During The Holidays
If your family enjoys volunteering during the holiday season, it goes without saying that this year’s newfound pandemic regulations have really put a damper on everyone’s ability to give back in the ways they normally would.
Many animal shelters have ceased dog-walking volunteer opportunities. Serving food in a shelter has a new set of rules and precautions. With so many initiatives being halted, it leaves families wondering how they can help their fellow man in a challenging time where it’s more important than ever to contribute to the community. (Wondering what opportunity will have your kid thriving? Check out this article.)
Here’s a kid activity that will truly make a difference! Use this list to spark some action with your family:
- Donate books to a local library
- Be sure to check with your library first to see what their drop off and donation regulations are.
- Collect soda can tabs for Ronald McDonald House Charities
- For more information, go to rmhc.org.
- Donate blankets, newspapers, cleaning supplies, old towels, hand sanitizer, or food to an animal shelter
- Check with the shelter first – their greatest needs can differ from day to day!
- Organize a neighborhood (socially distant) clean-up initiative
- Have everyone bring their own trash bags, and don’t forget the masks and gloves!
- Distribute leaf bags or help neighbors rake fallen leaves
- Many older citizens need help blowing leaves, raking, bagging, and general yard clean up before winter strikes!
- Buy gift cards from local businesses or restaurants and give to those in need
- Local restaurants and shops need our support now more than ever, and if you pay the purchase forward to someone in need, it’s the gift that keeps on giving!
- Volunteer to virtually read books to seniors in a local nursing home
- Many residents in nursing homes are not able to accept in-person visitors right now, and a surprise book reading or other fun interaction with your family would certainly create a bright spot in their day!
- Deliver doorstep meals to new parents and other homebound individuals
- Be sure to check for potential allergies ahead of time, and to set up a time for the drop off that is both socially distant and well-timed for perishable foods.
- Donate birthday party decorations to youth shelters or children’s hospitals
- Every kid deserves to have a magical birthday. Think outside the box, and help these kids have a birthday they won’t soon forget!
- Participate in #NinjasGiveBack
- This year we are partnering with the Toys for Tots Foundation to spread holiday cheer through the act of gift-giving. All of our Gymnastics and NinjaZone Greater Indianapolis locations are accepting donations of new, unwrapped toys from now until the end of November. Please speak with your child about the importance of giving back not only as a means to help provide life-sustaining needs, but to also give the gift of joy!